Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Do you know me?

Hello my friends and followers.
So much time has gone by since I last did a post. So much is
 happening in my life that I don't really know where and how to
begin.
I have been keeping up with the bloggers that I follow and in the
last couple of days I have read a few blogs that all have to do
how we are perceived. So get something to drink and snack on
because this is going to be somewhat long....LOL...
I want to know do you know me?  Or do you see me as the person
in my header picture? Well I am an American yes I am of Mexican
decent but I was born in America as well as my ancestors. My parents
were born in Texas and my grandparents in Mexico before this country
was settled by immigrants from other countries. I know many will not
see it this way it's ok. I am doing this for me and my daughter. For many
years I have been as others see me.

To many I am the food, the music and whatever they think
stereotypical Hispanic is. When someone sees me to them I am Hispanic
because of the color of my skin. To the Mexicans I am trying to be
white because my Spanish isn't fabulous and the so many other things
I should be doing because I am Mexican I do not fit in with them. I
find myself not knowing who I am and where I belong in this world.
 I know that I am a wife, a mother, a medical assistant, a crafter, woman etc.
etc.
I hope to help my daughter shine some light on this project that she is
trying to get off the ground. For the next month or so. I will address some
of the obstacles that I have had to drag myself over. Please leave a comment
as to when we very first met who you believed me to be. It would be greatly
appreciated.
Until my next post Have A Splendid Day/ Afternoon!!!!!!!
 

2 comments:

PoetessWug said...

Hello Velma!...I love the photos!!...You and the food look good! ^_^ ... As to who I thought you were, I thought you were YOU! :-) I grew up dealing with prejudice and I remember my mother teaching me that 'You don't treat people according to what they look like. Treat people the way they treat YOU!' So, that was what I did! And later I learned from the Bible that it was an even deeper thought!...'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you!' :-) This is my present way of being! And besides, how can you really know anyone unless you listen to what they say, and watch what they do?!...I love cultures of all kind, abut don't fit into ONE myself. I am black...or African American, but part Cherokee Indian...but I love food, music, and people from all over the world!!...and love learning about them! In fact, my friends live in almost every corner of the world! ^_^ YOU be YOU! That's what gets people to know and love you! :-) I've been following your blog for a while. I like you!! ^_^

Paper Sewn Visions said...

Deb, Thank you for your comment. I know that I am who I am. This is how God put me on this earth. I cannot change that. It is just truely amazing to me that there is still so much prejudice for those of us of Mexican decent. Writing about this is like a journal to help my daughter do a film on the life of an American women of Mexican decent and the struggles she goes through because of prejudices and how even today I am somewhat protective/ guarded with those who befriend me. As you know I have been following you too for some while and like you for you. Hugs.